torsdag 29 januari 2009

Dear Dawn French


Dear Dawn French,

I first”met” you during my studies in Australia, Brisbane 1995 - 2000, my roommate absolutely loved you and Jennifer Saunders, so I got an education in Dawn & Saunders, such joyful education I wish upon more of my fellow humans. Lisa and I were very lucky as we worked at “Blockbuster video” and could take videos home for free.

We went through all the “Absolutely Fabulous” and my world turned into super giggles as we began “Vicar of Dibly 1:1” has to confess that it took president over Chinese government which should have been my focus – here I feel it appropriate to admit that I didn’t understand my lecturer, well he wasn’t mine, not like I owned him, because then I could swap him for someone else – just happened that the lecturer/professor of Chinese government was Chinese – who would have thought? And my first language is Swedish so it became very difficult for me to follow his accent, I didn’t understand him, too difficult so as the comfortable buggar I am I dropped the subject and focused on another important part of life – laughter!

I fell in love with all the quirky characters of Dibly, I wanted to give each and everyone a hug, and I have to admit that you were top of my list! Watching “Vicar of Dibly” was like coming in after being soaked by rain, changing, having a warm shower and putting on my favourite PJ and cuddle up on the sofa with my favourite fleece blanket! If you know what I mean – the ultimate comfort.

It isn’t difficult to love your character in “Vicar of Dibly” you ooozzzz self-assuredness, is that the same as standing with both feet on the ground steady as a rock, enough so not to be afraid to make a fool out of yourself? If so, that’s what I mean, I have learnt a lot of funny stories from you and your wonderful sidekick (who’s name now alludes me) and to my surprise is not received with laughter here in Sweden?! Maybe something is lost in my translation – like the punch line?!

After seven and a half years of being lost in “depressed land”, might be known as “the land of the living not so joyfully” I have begun to work hard to reach the surface to crawl onto the beach and try for the jungle of life. I want to swing in the treetops with the other monkeys and claim my coconut or banana without feeling unworthy. Have belly laughs, be a bit silly and not take life or myself so darn seriously! And during this journey I have read a lot, fiction, “life” books, “spiritual books” and in that I came across “Dear Fatty” easy read and I grew to like you even more, I love photos of course, and to learn more about you.

I live in Sweden and haven’t been “exposed” to the tabloid news in regards to your person, so I knew nothing more that “Dawn and Saunders”, and I became jealous of your life in a wired way – not in a negative I hate you way – rather a “need to begin to live my life way”. I lost my sister when I was fourteen and she (Jenny) six, light of my life, and somehow I thought I was the ONLY ONE this had happened to, but as I have grown, I learn that I am NOT alone. It became a privet research to find out how other people had coped and moved on through their loss. As I have carried it wholeheartedly and selfishly for over 24 years.

Having read your book, and earlier on “Paula” by Isabel Allende (recommended read if you haven’t read it) I came to realisation that I was rather selfish, that I had done something I loath, having a “pity party” a roll in the dirty mud like a pig (only not happy about it) and it was time to move on, I was allowed to enjoy life.

I am working with/on myself and want so desperately to join humankind after being a monster for many, many years, as I perceive it. And my secret is – shh don’t tell – but I LOVE LIFE and would LOVE to just be me, with all that that entails!? I don’t know were it could take me, I only know that I have an incredible power with in, and when I push it down and down it will eventually EXPLODE! So better out than in.

Not sure if you will read this letter, but all the same I am happy I wrote it, you should know that I appreciate your work and that it has made me laugh a lot, stomach crunching laughing sessions, and even tough I have been depressed (clinically so, bi-polar they call it)”Vicar of Dibly” has penetrated the sludgy darkness like persistent rays of sunshine!

Thank you Dawn ( and Jennifer) for making sure my laughing keeps working through my self-serious-behaviour through out the last seven years, I am hoping and working on just being me and your “company” is a great road sign to the road which I believe is mine to travel, a fun, make a fool out of my self but live life to the fullest as best I can road – well at the moment it is a thin path in the thickness of the Marie jungle – but at least I see where I can put my feet to move forward and not lose sight for more then a bend in the path – and that’s OK!

Thank you for your book and that you shared a bit about your life, I wish I had had a dad like yours, it is lonely and a bit shaky with out a family, a functioning family, I am raising myself as it wasn’t done when I needed it – and let me tell you, sometimes I need to give the teenage part of myself a bit of a wollop! But that’s life isn’t it? Sometimes you just need to snap out of yourself – especially when you begin to think that EVERYTHING is down to you – like every disaster – I am sure you know what I mean on some level – you perfectly grounded and absolutely fabulous you !

All my admire hugs and well wishes to you, Lenny and Billie + Jennifer Saunders!

(Fatty is that you, Jennifer or none of my business : )



Marie Katie Gerahty
Donsögatan 1b
414 74 Gothenburg

(Just in case)




Inga kommentarer: